Vegetarianism: The Right Approach
Author: Pravesh K.
Vegetarian food is desirable & recommended on more than one count…
Taking non-vegetarian diet is a big impediment on the spiritual path, as it accentuates tamasic waves in one’s mind. Sadguru Maharshi Mehi Paramhans ji Maharaj used to say that atoms of animals are, especially, full of darkness (ignorance), and the one who partakes of such food is bound to be influenced by these. Hence, a sincere spiritual seeker must give up non-vegetarianism for good.
Even, Nature very loudly proclaims that it has not made or designed human beings for consumption of animal flesh. If we pay a careful look at the construction of the non-vegetarian animals (NVA) and vegetarian animals (VA), we would find that:
· NVAs have very sharp & pointed frontal canine teeth to tear the flesh & meat, which are lacking in VAs (us, too).
· NVAs have intestines relatively shorter in length so that the non-veg food taken in is not retained inside for long and is ejected quickly after whatever can be digested in that duration; VAs (we, too) have relatively longer intestines so that non-veg food consumed stays and rots here for several days at times, decomposing & producing dangerous toxins.
· In NVAs large quantities of Hydrochloric Acid are discharged in the stomach to digest the non-veg food taken in; not found to the same extent in VAs.
· NVAs (lions, tigers, cats, dogs etc.) always drink water by licking it with their tongue; VAs (cows, bufalloes, deer, horses) drink the same by letting both the lips fully touch the water (we, too).
· NVAs have soft paws with sharp nails for hunting; VAs have hooved flat feet (we, too).
· Usually, the off springs of NVAs are born with their eyes initially closed which take some time (in some cases, a few days) to open; kids of VAs (ours, too) open their eyes immediately following their birth.
· NVAs usually do not sweat; VAs do (we, too).
· Etc. etc.
So, the Nature’s verdict is loud & clear: Man has not been designed as such for taking to non-vegetarian diet.
Even medically, it has now been proved that while being butchered, sentiments of extreme fear & intense hatred are generated within the animal that is being killed, thus leading to production of toxins which get passed to the one who consumes its meat. Similarly, all the diseases afflicting the animal are liable to find entry into the one consuming it (bird flue, mad cow diseases are a few glaring examples).
Considered morally, too, what right we, who can’t give birth to even an amoeba, do we possess to end even a single life, big or small?
Socially, too, just because these mute animals and birds have no system of polity, administration, government and judiciary of their own to pronounce judgement on their killers, are we at liberty to go on rearing them and killing? First we nurture them and once they are adequately grown up, we maime them for satiating our taste! Is it really justifiable? Isn’t it a blatant violation of animal rights? Are only Human rights important?
Ecologically, millions of animals (goats etc.) that are reared to meet man’s lust for food are denuding thousands of hectare of green cover, mountain slopes etc., spelling disaster for our economy as well as ecology. The unjustifiable & wholly selfish craze for animal flesh is destroying the delicately balanced bio-diversity, heralding doomsday for all life over the planet that we inhabit. Furthermore, have we paid any attention to the quantum of water consumed in the butcheries? When several parts of the world are struggling to solve the problem of scarcity of water, is it wise to waste this precious resource so mindlessly, just to satisfy the few-inches long tongues of ours?
So, why not take the pledge to shun the non-vegetarian food for ever and ensure our all round well-being & progress?
Find such similar posts on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sant_santati, a purely spiritual yahoo! group